Healthy eating doesn’t need to be torturous. In fact, you can still have a majority of your favorite meals … with some minor tweaks of course 😉
Last night the roomies and I were craving Mexican food. What I wasn’t craving however was the bloated, “I clearly overindulged in cheese, meat and carbs” feeling that tends to follow my taco mowing extravaganzas. I even subbed out my beloved Corona for a bottle of Gingerade Kombucha (Learn more here) making it a healthy meal all around.
Take a look at the recipe for delicious Quinoa Taco Bowls!
Quinoa Taco BowlsPrint This
- 1 Cup Quinoa
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1 Green Pepper
- 1 Lb. Bonesless, Skinless Chicken Breast
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Can Corn (Unsalted, Drained)
- 1 Can Blackbean (Drained + Rinsed)
- 3 Tbs. EVOO
- 1 Lime
- 2 Tbs. Chili Powder *
- 1/2 Tsp. Garlic Powder *
- 1/2 Tsp. Onion Powder *
- 1 Tsp. Paprika *
- 1 Tsp. Cayenne Pepper *
- 2 Tsp. Ground Cumin *
- 1 1/2 Tsp. Black Pepper *
1. Chop onion and peppers and set aside.
2. Combine drained corn, black beans and diced red onion. Add diced jalapeño for some extra heat!
3. In a small bowl, combine ingredients for taco seasoning. [All ingredients marked with (*)]
4. Trim and rinse chicken breast.
5. Toss chicken in seasoning until fully coated.
6. Rinse quinoa (very important!) and cook according to instructions on package.
7. While quinoa is cooking, heat up 2 tbs. of EVOO in a pan on med/high heat.
8. When hot, add chicken, cooking about 5 minutes on each side or until cooked thoroughly.
9. Once cooked, remove chicken and set aside.
10. In the same pan, add remaining 1 tbs. of EVOO.
11. Add peppers and onions and cook on medium heat until your preference of crispiness.
12. Once quinoa is finished cooking (it should look like little corkscrews), fluff it up and divide into bowls.
Add blackened chicken, veggies and corn ‘salsa’ and top with sliced avocado and lime wedge!
Here is an APPROXIMATE caloric breakdown of each portion size for the recipe mentioned calculated from the nutritional breakdown found on www.nutritionvalue.org: