Cardio – A “necessary” evil. For most people, there’s nothing worse than the thought of spending 30 – 60 minutes on a treadmill or Stairmaster staring at the clock wondering what you did to deserve this torture.
The good news is, getting your heart rate up doesn’t need to be boring thanks to circuit training. Sure, it’s still gonna suck but at least you won’t be bored 😉 Let’s take a step back:
What is circuit training?
Circuit training is a form of training that typically combines a series of cardio and/or strength exercises performed one after another with minimal rest between them. Breaks are taken between each ‘circuit set’ opposed to between exercises.
Okay, cool. What’s the point?
Well first off, it helps take the boredom out of cardio! By moving quickly between exercises means you need to stay alert and it keeps your mind from wandering off. But there are some other awesome benefits of circuit training as well:
- Bye-bye fat, hello muscle. Studies show that an all-body cardio circuit can burn 30% more calories than a typical weight-only workout. It is also better for muscle growth and fat loss. By “shocking” your muscles with high-intensity movements, it helps strengthen and tone the entire body while still burning those calories necessary for weight loss.
- Circuits can save you time. Since they are usually short, about 7 – 10 minutes repeated 3 – 4 times, you can get a full body workout in under an hour.
- You are always moving. This means you are always burning calories! Without boring you with the science nitty-gritty, when you are doing medium-intensity cardio for long periods, your body tends to “adjust”. This results in fewer calories being burned over the course of the workout. However, circuit training causes increased metabolic rates due to the constant varying of movement.
It was also concluded in this 2015 study that high-intensity circuit training produces more afterburn than cardio for up to 21 hours post-exercise. In other words, your body continues to burn calories after you’ve finished training ! 
Okay, I’m ready – Let’s do this.
Woot, woot! Check out one of my favorite circuit routines below. The best part, this can be done right in the comfort of your own home. No equipment necessary and no embarrassment if you fall on your face during burpees. I’ll be posting more as time goes on, so stay tuned!
This is guaranteed to get your heart rate up and although you might hate me in the moment, I promise you’ll love me later. Remember, fat is just sweat crying. 😉 NO STOPPING BETWEEN EXERCISES.
- Mountain Climbers (45 seconds)
- Pushups (30 seconds)
- Bodyweight Squats (30 seconds)
- Crunches (30 seconds)
- Burpees (45 seconds, love you!)
* Rest 30 seconds *
- Triceps Dips (45 seconds)
- Forward Lunges (Alternating – 45 seconds)
- Windshield Wipers (30 seconds)
- Second High Knees (30 seconds)
- Donkey Kicks (20 seconds each leg)
- Hold Plank to Failure (1 million minutes)
* Rest 3 minutes and start again 😉 Repeat 3 – 4x *
The roomie and I did some circuit training this morning. I only taped our wonderful step-ups coordination but here we are chugging along … 🚂
❥ As always, I am here to help in any way I can.
You can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org