Anyone that has spent more than a few afternoons with me knows that I am a chips and dip gal. Especiallyyyyyyy when it comes to chips and salsa, I have absolutely no self-control. As a result, my cheat meals tend to be me shamelessly devouring an entire bag of Tostitos loaded up with cheesy, jalapeño-y, pulled chicken goodness. (Okay maybe just a little bit of shame…)
Instead of letting this become my go-to choice and giving myself a heart attack, I compiled a few delicious snack alternatives for those who love to indulge sometimes without COMPLETELY throwing their diet to the curb. Besides, these are much cheaper alternatives than store bought equivalents. Who said healthy snacking has to be dull?
Check ’em out!
Homemade Tortilla Chips:
- 1 Package of Whole Wheat Tortillas *
- 1 Tbs. EVOO
- 2 Tbs. Lime Juice
- 1 Tsp. Chili Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp. Ground Cumin
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut each tortilla into wedges and place on a cookie sheet.
- Mix EVOO and lime juice together and drizzle onto tortillas. If you have a sprayer, that works even better!
- Combine the dry spices and sprinkle onto the chips.
- Bake on middle rack for 6 – 7 minutes.
- Rotate the pan and bake for another 7 or so minutes or until the chips are crisp. Careful not to burn them.
* If you’re feeling adventurous, you can make your own tortillas! (They’re actually quite easy to make) Check out this recipe: Healthy Homemade Tortillas. She also has links for Paleo, Gluten-Free and Low-Carb versions!
- 2 Avocados
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Lime Juice (Fresh squeezed is best!)
Add-ins Ideas – Choose as many or as little as you’d like:
- 1/4 Cup of Chopped Red Onion
- 2 Jalapeños – Seeded & Minced
- 1 Tomato – Seeded & Chopped
- 3 Tbs. Cilantro
- Dried Pineapple/Mango
- 1/4 Cup Corn
- Cut avocado, remove pit, scoop out flesh into a medium sized bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt and lime juice.
- Using a fork or potato masher, mash the avocados. Don’t worry about making it super smooth, some chunks are good.
- Add in the rest of your desired ingredients and fold into the avocado mash.
- Serve with your favorite veggies, chips, or spread on toast!
Cover your leftovers with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.
O B S E S S E D with this one. 😍
I have a Sriracha addiction though, so I’m a bit biased. (I carry a bottle around with me in my lunch box … No joke)
- 1 1/2 Cups Plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 – 4 Tbs. Sriracha (Adjust to you desired heat level)
- 1 Tbs. Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Onion Powder
- In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, olive oil and Sriracha. My suggestion is to start with less Sriracha and add more a little at a time. Its always easier to add more, quite difficult to take away 😉
- Mix in garlic and onion powder.
- Let chill for 10 – 20 minutes and serve!
PSA: This dip pairs amazingly with these Zucchini Chips from “Table for Two”
Creamy Avocado Dip:
- 2 – 3 Medium Sized Avocados
- 1/4 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 Lemon (or Lime), Juiced
- 3 -4 Minced Garlic Cloves
- 1 Tsp. Cayenne Powder
- 1 Tsp. Cumin Powder
- 1/4 Tsp. Pepper
- 2 Tsp. Parmesan Cheese (Optional)
- Peel avocados and remove pits, cut into chunks.
- Put all ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth. If the texture is too chunky, add 1/2 teaspoon of water and blend again.
LINKS TO SOME OTHER AMAZING RECIPES:
Pineapple Salsa – Culinary Hill
You can earn “best host” points by serving this in the hollowed out pineapple.
Black Bean Dip – Once Upon a Chef
Beans, beans such a magical fruit ….
Green Goddess Hummus – Cookie and Kate
Just do it, your taste buds will thank you.
Buffalo Cauliflower Dip – Mother Thyme
Find me someone who doesn’t love buffalo dip. Go ahead, I dare yah.
Whipped Feta Artichoke Dip – Lively Table
Tangy, creamy and delicious.